Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Lies of Locke Lamora Read-Along Week 4

Hi Everyone!

Busy weekend for me, so I'll be posting this right now (forgot to schedule it, silly me) and then I'll put my answers up later today. These are some great questions, so make sure to thank @ohthatashley for the wonderful discussion that will ensue.

1.      In the chapter “A Curious Tale for Countess Amberglass” we learn of the tradition of the night tea in Camorr. I found that not so much fantastical as realistic – how about you?

2.      When Jean meets with what will become the Wicked Sisters for the first time, the meeting is described very much like how people feel when they find their true work or home. Agree? Disagree? Some of both?

3.      Salt devils. Bug. Jean. The description is intense. Do you find that description a help in visualizing the scene? Do you find yourself wishing the description was occasionally – well – a littleless descriptive?

4.      This section has so much action in it, it’s hard to find a place to pause. But…but.. oh, Locke. Oh, Jean. On their return to the House of Perelandro, their world is turned upside down. Did you see it coming?

5.      Tavrin Callas’s service to the House of Aza Guilla is recalled at an opportune moment, and may have something to do with saving a life or three. Do you believe Chains knew what he set in motion? Why or why not?

6.      As Locke and Jean prepare for Capa Raza, Dona Vorchenza’s remark that the Thorn of Camorr has never been violent – only greedy and resorting to trickery – comes to mind again. Will this pattern continue?

7.      Does Locke Lamora or the Thorn of Camorr enter Meraggio’s
Countinghouse that day? Is there a difference? 




Here are my answers for this week


1. You know, I'd never thought about it too much, but I could definitely see that being a very real thing.


2. I definitely agree. They were his weapon from the moment he laid his hands on them, that much was obvious. I think that we're all like that to some degree. We find something that really works for us, and we stick with it. It just feels right.


3. Well, giant sea spiders would scare the everloving crap out of me regardless of the description, but I think that the heavy description involved with them really adds to the horror of what they are and what they're capable of. I was actually a little surprised that Jean dealt with them so easily. Not surprised, I guess. Just wishing that maybe there had been a little more difficulty there, I guess.


4. Never saw it coming, and I still have a hard time making myself turn those pages, even after the 4th time through. I know it's coming, but I really want to avoid it if possible.


5. I think Chains knew one thing: As priests in the various orders, the Bastards can slip by unnoticed in a lot of places, which just might save their lives when things get really hot. It's a perfect way to hide, especially the priests that have masks.


6. I don't think so. At least, not for the Grey King. There will be blood, because Locke has lost too much to just trick him. He'll put him in the dirt or die trying.


7. I'd say a very desperate Locke entered Merragio's that day. When Locke gets desperate, that's when his true brilliance shines through, but it's also when he hurts others through his actions.


15 comments:

  1. I can see what you mean about Jean managing to dispatch the Salt Devils relatively easy - but, it felt like a long time when reading it simply because you're conscious of Locke being trapped in his barrel - I suppose if that scene had lasted much longer it would be a stretch to believe Locke could survive.  Although, I can always happily read extended scenes of Jean fighting!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, totally agree. He almost HAD to dispatch them easily. As it was, it strained credibility for Locke surviving in the horse piss. No surprise that Locke wants to destroy the Grey King. Even without the killing of the rest of the Bastards, I'd make him take a dirt nap just for the horse piss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that barrel of horse piss really took 'disgusting ways to die' to a whole new level. The next time I read a death-scene by some other writer, I'll be comparing it to barrel of horse piss. I will say, 'hey, being stabbed, acid-burned, puked on, and lit on fire is bad. But not as bad as drowning in a barrel of horse piss'. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's definitely a solid scale of measurement
    --------
    Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  5.  I too was thinking "how long can one survive upside down in a barrel of horse piss"? So it did make sense to vanquish the Salt Devils in a tense, hurried manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we have to assume that there was a small air space at the top of the barrel to give them all some breathing space . . . sorry, I couldn't resist that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. the ecard image at the top of the post is absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8.  I will never, ever complain about a stubbed toe or broken fingernail again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I found it strained things a bit for me to, especially as I've recently done a First Aid course and been told that there's generally only a 4% change of someone coming back from CPR.. (defibrillator are the way to go)  that and the fact that after nearly dying and having the shit kicked out of him he still managed to drag himself to see Bravasi's death. Thats my only complaint so far. Ahh can't believe I seem to want this book to be somewhat grittier! As if haven't characters die en masse wasn't enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10.  my thought was that Jean didn't even give himself time to be grossed out or afraid of the salt devils. He had something he needed to do (Save Locke), so damnit, he did it.

    Ever try to psych yourself up for something, like speaking in front of a crowd or something, and the more you try to psych yourself up, the more nervous you get, because you are overthinking things?  but if you just dive right in before your brain has a chance to get nervous, everything turns out better than you cold have expected?  ok, so salt devils is absofuckinlutely completely different that speaking in front of a crowd, but, umm, maybe same principles apply?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a pretty amazing plan that he came up with right on the spot at the Countinghouse.  I was surprised at Locke for apologizing for getting someone caught up in his scheme though.  I thought Locke loved that kind of thing?  My guess was just that he was so singularly focused on the GK that he honestly didn't mean to get anyone else involved?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I think that Locke gets in trouble when he gets particularly carried away with a scheme, and that's when he hurts people. I mean, he basically ruined that man's life forever just to get a suit. Scott Lynch brings this up on the Sword and Laser podcast interviewhe did a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13.  There are probably some people that would rather face a dozen salt devils than speak in public. Thankfully, I've always been a bit of a ham and don't have much of a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  14.  Me, me, me! I'd rather fight giant sea spiders than do public speaking. You know that though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I die before you do, we've got to find a way to have you fight something to the death at my funeral, rather than speaking. I'll get thinking.

    ReplyDelete