Saturday, April 28, 2012

Red Seas Under Red Skies, Week 1



So, here we are, part 1 of our Red Seas Under Red Skies Read-Along. It's been a heck of a ride so far, so if you haven't participated and want to see what all the fuss is about, feel free to browse the archives and look at past weeks' posts about The Lies of Locke Lamora and what we thought about it.

I'll keep this short, so let's move right to the questions, shall we?

1. The Sinspire. It looks like our heroes (can they really be called that?) find themselves in search of a way into an unbeatable vault. Do you think they have what it takes to make it happen?

2.  Anyone want to guess how they're going to make it happen?

3. It's a little different this time around, with us just being focused on Locke and Jean. Is anyone else missing the rest of the Bastards as much as I am?

4. I love the section where Jean starts to build a new guild of thieves. It really shows just how well trained and tough he is. Do you think the Bastards will end up training others along the way again like Bug?

5. For those of you looking for Sabetha, we still haven't spotted her yet. Anyone else chomping at the bit to see the love of Locke's life?

6. It's early on, but the Bastards are already caught up in plots that they didn't expect. How do you think their new "employer" is going to make use of them (The Archon, that is)?

5 comments:

  1. Great Qs this week Bryce - thanks for kicking it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for tackling the first bit!

    I think if this one had taken place in Camorr, I'd be missing the other GB's more. since I don't see memories of them everywhere, it's not too bad.  and I don't think Bug would much care for Tal Verrar, do you?

    I adore the Sinspire. and I totally want to play a game of Carousel Hazard!  my poker playing friends think I'm nuts when I describe carousel hazard.  Next time we have a board game night, I totally need to introduce drinking hazards, basically evertime you lose a hand - have a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Sinspire is great.  Not ot mention Carousel Hazard - a card game and a drinking game all mixed up in one!  Would you just become too tired and goggle-eyed to continue or would you become totally reckless and think you're invincible.  I'm not sure how Jean and Locke manage to maintain their cool - not to mention their fake characters when they're so drunk!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good questions! Thanks!
    My main thoughts after reading this first section is that the action has started right off the bat and how in the world are Locke and Jean going to get out of the predicament they're in now!

    http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/21981178128

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blast-off, Bryce!
    Loved the Jean question. I think it was one of the ways Lynch has started working on his character development.

    http://www.akshul.com/2012/05/03/red-seas-under-red-skies-read-along-week-one/ 

    ReplyDelete