1. Well, we finally got our long awaited view of the Lord Ruler, firstly just a brief glimpse during the executions and then during the fight with Kelsier. What do you now think about him and the myth’s surrounding him? And, given his strength do you think he can be beaten?
Damn. Triple damn. He is real, and he hits hard! And has great fashion sense.
Yet, everything has a weakness; maybe not physical. So, yes, by the end of the trilogy, I expect there to be some way to get to him. Poison powder in his tailored undergarments?
2. We seemed to suffer a number of set backs to the plans this week. The army had already been all but destroyed and following a bit of a rethink/regroup/coming up with a Plan B, things still have gone disastrously astray. What do you think the Crew will do now?
I am hoping that the death of one of the rebellion's leaders after he defeated a steel inquisitor will rally the Skaa. I want the word to grow to legend and spread throughout Luthadel and then throughout the countryside, reaching all Skaa in the Final Empire. I want Sazed to send secret word to all Terrismen to rally with the Skaa. I want plantation work to cease, and hence food production. I want the government of the Final Empire to come to its knees!
I have a lot of wants because I am a complicated person.
Seriously - that last loss in the square was harsh. I am hoping that the Skaa rally, instead of scatter. I wonder if Vin will become the new driving force, and if she will join forces with Elend. That could be a formidable team.
3. What was your reaction to Kelsier’s response to finding Marsh dead? I can’t help feeling that there are going to be some serious economic repercussions to destroying the crystals – what sort of impact do you think this will have, not just on the nobles but on the Skaa?
The Pits of Hathsin were the only atium mines that WE knew about. There could be other mines, that would be kept just as secret.
However, if these were the only mines, then there is less reason for the Skaa. I think things will become more oppressive for the Skaa, that those Skaa that are craftsmen (like Clubs) will be shunned by the ruling parties, if not burned out.
And there will be less shiny metal for the nobility to flash around. But that's OK, since we saw the last ball for some time. The nobility can play with their shiny things inprivate, including what little atium they have.
Mistborns may be strongly affected - no more seeing 2 seconds into the future. Those that have hoarded atium will have an edge over those who have not.
4. Finally, each week we learn a little bit more of the Lord Ruler’s history. And each week it has a different impact. This week’s snippets had the same impact – I was really interested in the excerpt when he mentions that the Darkness is not as oppressive when higher up in the mountains – do you have any more ideas about the Darkness?
That Darkness seems to be a bigger deal than The Lord Ruler. the terms 'Well of Ascension' and 'The Deepness' are still big unknowns. I theorize that The Lord Ruler has become what he is today by near-constant contact with the Deepness - holding it at bay. It has twisted him, made him cruel. I think this is tied to the atium production somehow. I think The Lord Ruler is not simply hoarding it, but using it in some fashion to stay in power, and perhaps to fight The Deepness.
But I might just be blowing wind up your kilts.
5. I was wondering about Elend and Vin – they’ve also had their ups and downs this week but seem determined to work round them – can you see anything of a future for these two or is there too much history between the nobles and Skaa and too much difference and prejudice between the two?
I am SO hoping that they can at least be allies. The Skaa rebellion needs all the help it can get and it looks like, with the destruction of the atium mines, House Venture, especially Elend (with his dad wishing him ill), needs an ally.
It would knock Elend's socks off to know Vin is Mistborn, and protected him. Ha! It would knock more than his socks off - probably his pants too. Which would be socially embarrassing. So I hope he finds out when he is sitting down.
Other Bits of Interest:
Why is Vin the only doughnut at a sausage fest?
Vin kicks ass. That scene where she tears off her ballgown and accoutrements and goes assassin hunting was awesome. I bet she will consider concealing a knife or two in the future.
Marsh got the beginner's eye tattoos! Now I have a finger tattoo, but getting the face, especially near the eyes, tatted takes some nerves of steal. Or Prozac.